About the Facility
Internationally renowned for clinical excellence, The Portland Hospital is the only independent hospital in the UK entirely dedicated to women and children. Our inpatient and outpatient specialties reflect this, providing clinical expertise in Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Women`s Health.
The Portland Hospital prides itself on the longstanding principles to provide support, an inspiring working environment and positive energy to ensure everyone has a better day and receive gold standard quality service.
Our Paediatric wards hold 53 inpatient beds + 11 day case beds and are equipped with the latest technology to provide advanced medical and surgical care, including a 14 bed Paediatric Intensive Care Unit which reflects the acuity and complex nature of the children who are admitted to our hospital, including a proportion of international patients who are sent for specialist treatment and/or investigations by their embassies.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) in Tissue Viability to join the skilled paediatric team at the Portland Hospital. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing specialist knowledge, advice, clinical skills and expertise in the treatment and management of Children and Young people with skin conditions and birth marks who attend the Portland Hospital for a variety of diagnostic and investigative procedures. The CNS will also cover the tissue viability service for paediatric patients at the Portland.
Our busy Children’s Outpatients Department is spread over three sites has a large range of specialist Paediatrics clinics including: Cardiac, Allergy, Dermatology, General Paediatrics, Gastro-enterology, ENT, Urology, Plastics, Orthopaedics and Spinal.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides expert guidance and ongoing support to any nursing team involved in the care of infants, children and young people diagnosed with or undergoing investigations or treatment for birthmarks/ skin conditions as well as patients with tissue viability needs
- Leads and participates in co-ordinating all aspects of patient care, maintaining the best interest of the child and family at all times.
- The post holder will be an advocate for every child and young person attending the hospital for either investigations and/or procedures for laser and dermatology treatment.
- Actively participates in and develops patient clinical pathways for all infants, children and young people attending the hospital for investigation and treatment of skin conditions/laser treatment.
- Takes responsibility for the assessment, plan of care and setting of standards for all Laser/Dermatology/Tissue Viability patients, in collaboration with the multi professional team, in particular the specialist Dermatology Consultants.
- The post holder will play an integral part in the training, education and development of the nursing team delivering care to laser/Dermatology/Tissue Viability patients, working collaboratively with the HCA education and practice facilitating team. There will also be a focus on pressure ulcer prevention.
- Takes responsibility for assessing staff as competent to undertake specific clinical practices within their area of expertise.
- Ensures all hospital policies for the Laser / Dermatology / Tissue Viability service are kept up to date and reviewed in accordance with HCA policy.
Skills & Experience
- Children’s Nursing Qualification – RN Child or RSCN with valid NMC registration
- Substantial post registration experience in Children’s nursing
- Relevant qualification and substantial experience in Tissue Viability
- Mentorship qualification
- Basic/Intermediate Paediatric Life Support
- Level 3 Safeguarding qualification